When it comes to planning an outdoor space there is more to consider than simply the size of the furniture you want to use. Although this is a very important piece when bringing an outdoor space together. I think it’s really important to keep a small journal, document or note in phone when planning. It keeps all the information in the same place, so if you ever need to reference anything you’ve noted, the details will be easy to find.
A well planned outdoor space is a wonderful addition to any home. Whether you have a small patio, a wraparound balcony or a large yard, all of it gives you the opportunity to add additional square footage to your home. In the summer months this is so important. You can eat, read, hang out and entertain outside. This gets you enjoying the summer months and all that they offer, with warmer temperatures, beautiful flowers, sunshine and greenery. This beautiful patio above is a great example of adding valuable square footage.
Planning an outdoor space, what to consider
- Set a budget: Before you start any serious planning, set a budget! This is the most important part. If you start with a budget you will look for décor and furniture that within the amount you are looking to spend.
- The size: How big is your outdoor space? This is the first piece of the puzzle. You need to know your dimensions in order to purchase furniture, lighting, and the layout.
- Your style: Are you wanting a vintage look, think rattan or wicker and macramé, beach house with blue, whites and drift wood with candles or boho adding in colours, layers, rugs and plants. There are so many options!
- Furniture: How big can your furniture be? What style works for the size or shape of your outdoor space? Do you want a set or individual pieces? Be very clear before you start shopping.
- Tape out pieces: Once you know the size of your space, the style you are looking, the furniture that will work, make sure you measure out the pieces you are looking to purchase. This will ensure everything will work together.
Once you have finished all of your planning then you can move onto to purchasing the pieces you want for your space. You might already have furniture that works but are looking for décor pieces to style your outdoor space. I found shopping online to be the easiest way to find what I was looking for. The dimensions are clearly listed, if the piece does not work it is usually easy to ship back and online usually has inspiration photos so you can clearly see how the item will work in a space.
Here are my answers to the questions above
- Budget: Since I am purchasing everything new, except the plants, my budget is $450.
- Size: 5 feet by 8 feet
- Style: A modern boho feel
- Furniture: I want a rug to cover the entire patio, and a small outdoor sofa to fill the space.
- Tape it out: Yes I have definitely done this!
Did this blog help you to think about your outdoor space in a different way? Are you ready to plan? What elements hadn’t you considered? Let me know below!
Affordable Decor Affordable Decorating Tips Affordable Home Decor Affordable Home Improvements Affordable Makeover Affordable Room Makeover Affordable Room Reno affordable room revamp Apartment Therapy Bedroom Decor Blogger Budget but Beautiful Budget but Beautiful by Tijana Popovic budget friendly room makeover Budget Room Refresh Easy DIY Easy Room Makeovers Easy Room Updates Frugal Frugal Living Frugalista hgtv home decor Ikea inspiration money saving my diy home My DIY House Patio Makeover Small Space Tijana Popovic